Headlands Center for the Arts is dedicated to providing a supportive, creative and stimulating work environment where staff and interns are encouraged to reach their full potential and are recognized for their contributions to the organization.
Current Openings & Opportunities
Click on the job titles below to learn more.
Director of Programs
TITLE: Director of Programs – posted 2/6/2015
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
STATUS: Salaried, Exempt
SCHEDULE: Full time; Occasional evenings/weekends required.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit a single PDF attachment that includes a cover letter, resume or CV with salary requirements, and a short (1-2 paragraph) statement about your curatorial interests and approach and how you envision applying them to Headlands programming to email@example.com. The subject line of your email should be: Program Director / your name.
Thank you in advance for your interest in Headlands Center for the Arts. Due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who will be invited to interview will be contacted. Position is open until filled.
The Director of Programs is responsible for overseeing all Artists Programs and Public Programs for the organization. This includes strategizing and ensuring successful implementation of the Artists in Residence (AIR), Affiliate (AFF), Graduate Fellowship, and Alumni New Works (ANW) programs as well as conceiving and implementing a dynamic and innovative season of public programs that engender a deep and meaningful relationship to audiences. All programs should advance Headlands’ mission, encourage critical thinking, inspire creativity and foster the exchange of ideas across cultures and professional disciplines. In addition, the Director of Programs will have the opportunity to commission site specific and off-site artists projects, cultivate programmatic and audience-driven partnerships, envision new program models, and work with current and alumni Artists to support the development of new work and ideas.
The Director of Programs is a key member of the senior leadership team and helps drive the strategy and long-term sustainability of the organization. The Director of Programs serves as a supervisor to program department staff members and interns, a liaison to key Board members and volunteers, and serves as a public facing representative of the organization. This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- To oversee all of Headlands Artists Programs
- To think creatively and entrepreneurially about public programming and audience engagement
- To oversee the Program departments staff, budgets and operations
- To serve as a key member of the leadership team
- To work collaboratively with staff across all departments
- To represent the organization publically amongst artists, partner organizations, peers in the field and funders
- To serve as a key liaison to the program committee, nominators, panelists and other individuals who are part of Headlands creative community
- 5+ years working in the non-profit sector
- Supervisory experience
- Curatorial and public programming experience, in particular with an artist-centered and/or contemporary art context
Desired knowledge, skills, experience
- Experience with contemporary arts sector and/or public/private partnerships
- Experience working in a national park or public land environment
- Familiarity with the local, national, and international arts and culture landscape
- Employee needs to be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Employee must be able to manage events, which includes occasional lifting and moving of AV equipment and furniture.
- Due to the location of our campus, employee must drive and have a vehicle
This position reports to the Executive Director. The position works closely with every department of the organization and oversees the residency and program managers, as well as interns and occasional hourly support.
The Director of Programs is responsible for successfully meeting program income goals, managing the department’s expenses, and overseeing long-term program planning.
COMPENSATION AND OFFICE CULTURE
- Salary is commensurate with organization’s senior team compensation levels; 100% health, dental, and vision benefits; flex spending and 401K plan
- Fast-paced convivial work environment in beautiful natural setting
- Dynamic creative community and direct access to working artists; access to local and organic food program
Headlands is an equal opportunity employer.
Internship Program General Information
Headlands’ internship programs offer students and graduates across all disciplines and interests the opportunity to engage in the behind the scenes of a non-profit art center. Interns provide support for a wide range of Headlands’ activities including public events, artist programs, and the management of day-to-day operations. We welcome applications from driven, curious, and thoughtful individuals with an interest in supporting Headlands’ unique mission.
2015 Internship Information
Live-in Program internship periods: Spring (March – June), Summer (June – August), Fall (September – November)
Live-in internships are 30 hours/week
Live-out internship periods: Ongoing, 6-month commitment ideal, but not required.
Live-out internships in Development, Communications, and Operations are 8-16 hours a week.
Contact Madeleine Wilhite for an overview of internship descriptions and more information on how to apply.
Benefit Art Auction Volunteer Opportunities – Wednesday, June 3
Shifts will be up on the website soon! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, or to sign up.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
Interested in volunteering? Email email@example.com for more information and to get our our volunteer email list!